Less than 20 percent of registered voters in Monroe County turned out for Tuesday's Indiana primary election, with the lowest turnout among the youngest voters.

The highest turnout came from voters in the age brackets 55 to 64, 65 to 71 and those 75 years or older, said Monroe County Clerk Nicole Browne.

An unofficial total of 17,818 votes were cast in Tuesday's election, representing 19.5 percent of the 91,501 registered voters in the county, according to Browne's cumulative report issued Tuesday evening.

Polling stations were busiest between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., Browne said, with Election Day voting accounting for 70.6 percent of the total vote. The remaining 29.4 percent of votes came in during early voting or by way of absentee ballot.

The busiest locations throughout the day were Eastview Church of the Nazarene, Free Methodist Church, Jackson Creek Middle School and Sherwood Oaks Christian Church, Browne said, as well as St. John's Catholic Church and University Elementary School.

Browne said the clerk's office did hear about some voters from Bloomington 6 precinct who were told to vote at a polling site other than Fairview Elementary, which was incorrect. Browne said she was able to confirm that the clerk's office was not to blame, and said she suspected "a well-meaning neighborhood association sent out inaccurate information."

Browne said she was not aware of any other significant issues Tuesday.